Thursday 25 October 2012

MCC All About Zentangle - Wk 4 Zendalas

Links: MCC (My Creative Classroom), Marie Browning

In the final week Marie introduced us to Zendalas created using different types of strings including several examples made using Genevieve Crabe's Mandala stencils. As I don't have any yet but still wanted to try drawing a Zendala  myself I wondered if I could make something similar. What I managed to construct is a little crude & definitely not accurate in terms of angles but it enabled me to experience the thrill of actually drawing my own design.

I used a compass & protractor to draw myself a grid on a piece of paper & die-cut a circular shape from some plasticky translucent packing material. Using my grid I pierced holes (large enough to accomodate a pencil point) into the plastic. It's a little unwieldy so I ended up with some pencil indentations when transferring the marks to my tile but I still managed to draw what I considered a workable pattern.

tangles: Box Pleat, Crescent Moon, Frairum

In the next example I transferred the string for Erin's Zendala Dare #28 onto the outline of a tile drawn in my Moleskine Sketchbook & worked on some more new-to-me tangles. 

tangles: Ixorus, Scrolled Feather, Xircus

Challenge Entered

14 comments:

xxxtglxxx said...

How clever of you to make that yourself! :) I remember doing something similar when it was fashionable to put blingy swirls on cards and the templates were really expensive! :)

Great results from it though, really eye-catching and very crisp :)

hugs

xxalisonxx

Elaine said...

Wow, really impressive work. Well done for making your DIY template, that must have been a labour of love in it's own right! Your shading adds great depth again and I love the little flowers in the background too. Elaine x

Miranda said...

Hi Paula, love Mandala's and with the tangling in it they are great....again my fingers are itching.....but my time is so limited! warm greet and a fine weekend! Miranda

Helen said...

They're lovely, Paula. Your homemade stencil looks terrific! Great idea.

jackiescrafts said...

These are great Paula and well done for making your own template too that must have been a job in itself
Have a nice weekend

Jackie x

Unknown said...

Wow! Totally impressed by your template and the gorgeous zendala you created! Also love the swirliness of the Bright Owl template--beautifully done!

GinaA said...

Gosh Paula, your DIY mandella stencil has worked so well, the pattern you have created is super. I love the box pleat and have not seen Frairum before either. Leaving the 'blank' space to make another box fold is so clever and lifts this part of the pattern above the more dense tangles. The next example with the scrolled feather is super as well and the teardrop shape looks so much like a cushioned heart, just brilliant.

Chrissie said...

Your scrolled feather and negative spaces make a lovely zendala.

Deborah Frings said...

Stunning! I think your tangles are just amazing!

Pink Dandelion said...

Really impressive Paula. Love the bottom one, so much work has gone into it. Debs xx

Elaine said...

Fabulous Paula, and a huge pat on the back for making your own template. I'm sure it was a tricky gadget to construct but it must be very satisfying to create it yourself!

Both are highly detailed and intricate and beautiful to behold.

Big hugs
Elaine xx

Elizabeth Allan said...

Intricate and delicate all at the same time! I can't look away...your patterns are so mesmerizing and very relaxing to gaze into!

Annie said...

such intricate patterns, but not good for my eyes! sorry it's taken so long to catch up with you and to see your marvelous creations.
hugs, annie x

Aquarius said...

Not sure how I managed to miss these the other day - my side bar doesn't always update so maybe that's what happened. That template you made looks a very useful item - very resourceful of you too. Both these Zendalas are great with lots of interest.